Thursday, August 13, 2015

The dreaded Plateau



Understanding that results do not happen over night is the hardest part of my weight-loss journey. Working out 5/6 days a week for 2-3 hours and yet 0 weight-loss in 6 months. What the heck! The first year was great woo-hoo the weight just shredded / sweated off. Here we are one year later and yet the plateau was killing my motivation but I knew I was not going to let it defeat me. I had to Stop & Listen to my body. It was obviously telling me something. 

Yes it happens. Yes it drove me crazy. Yes I cried. Yes I went harder. Yes I starved myself. Yes I even over ate because the scale was not budging at all; not up nor down! Does it need new batteries? Am I standing on it wrong? Am I meant to stay in the 140's? Is this what my body wants to do? 
It is easy for us to get into a routine and enter a comfort zone. We do not want our body to fall into a routine. I fell into a routine and that's where my plateau came, my body was just burning the needed calories daily and I was not burning any additional calories. So time to kick it up a notch! Ahh the dreaded new workout regimen, the soreness, earlier mornings, longer sessions, and more sweat. 

What's the secret? Honestly there is no secret. It takes a lot of hard work and it also takes patience and dedication. If you are not willing to invest in it 100% you are only going to receive half the results and the plateau will not make it any better. What about dieting? Well what about it. I don't diet so I can not answer any "diet related questions." I have made lifestyle changes in order for this to be a continuous process. I am not looking for a quick fix. I am not trying to take the easy way out either. 
I have no done any detoxes. I have no done any of those "crazy wrap things." I have not taken any supplements or pre-workout shakes. I took a nutrition class to understand the concept of what our body needs and what we need to do naturally to keep it running the healthy way. 

What do you eat? I eat food! Okay so the hard part of getting in shape and kicking this plateau is understanding what is power food and what is unnecessary wasted calories. Since I love eating I do not drink any of my calories. What does that mean? That means I chug water all day long and enjoy that it is 0 calories. I am not a crazed calorie counter however I eat consciously. Water not only helps keep calories down it also detoxifies your skin and it helps your kidneys remove waste which are all added health benefits! If you think water is boring add some fruit, mint, or lemon to it. I try to drink close to a gallon a day which means I have lot's of potty breaks.

Grocery Shopping was something I had to learn not to do unless I had my List. When you have a list that will keep your attention on the task at hand; and not on all the crap that your mind will tell you to grab. I also like to plan what I will eat for the week that way I only grab those items and not anything extra. Additional to my list I grab my pocket planner and start writing down what I will be making for breakfast, lunch and dinner that week.

It's better to plan ahead rather than fail to plan. Beating the dreadful plateau meant that I had to kick it all up a notch and go the extra mile. Giving my body the break and time needed to readjust allowed me to see the scale move in the direction I wanted it too. I did not give up, I did not settle, I did not lose hope, and I only competed with myself. I am my own competition.



No comments:

Post a Comment