Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Grocery Shopping & the 80/20 Rule



All I heard over and over again beginning my journey was all about the 80/20 rule. I didn't think it was true nor did I want to accept it because I LOVED FOOD. Well I still do love food but have learned to love myself more as opposed to loving food more than myself. I can not let my emotions take over and eat my feelings away. I can not eat in order to hide any pain and food can not be my best friend or happiness.
I will not live to eat. I will eat to live.

80% of the hard work happens in the kitchen. I have to cook healthy meals. I also have to purchase the healthy food. I also have to learn to prep those meals in calorie friendly ways. I have to also get my family on board with the changes and not allow them to have me back track into old routines and ways. Change is something that is not comfortable but the pain of being overweight is something that feels far worse than actually changing for the best. 

Learning what areas to avoid in the grocery store was a first step for me. Why pass by the bakery section if I know they will have something I want but I should not have just because I see it and now want it. With my List at hand I go into the grocery and I enter only the outskirts of it what does that mean? I do not enter into all of the middle aisles because the middle aisles only have boxed items and those are all processed foods with loads of bad things that we should not be eating.

Read those Labels!!

Just because something says something it does not mean it is factual; flip that product over and begin to read what is inside and see if there are any nutritional value to that product. Do not depend on the company to be 100% honest with you when they are expecting you to purchase their item. Although organic is a little more money it actually lasts longer and it will give us the vitamins and nutrients that our body needs for fuel and energy.

Where does your food come from?

Something I never considered or cared about because I didn't think it mattered. Truth is many of our foods come from big companies that take the easy way out. That means that they can add things to our food to make it bigger, fuller, or plumper which sounds good but not if toxic chemicals are the way they are doing this. If your meat comes from another Country ( it will say where it's from on the package)  I am not quite sure that is the best choice either. Personally for me I like all of my produce and meat to come from local farms that Grass Feed their animals and do not contain any pesticides or additives. You are what you eat; so you want to make sure what you're eating is actually what you think it is. 

Healthy does not mean bland & tasteless.

Healthy recipes are all about learning how to make the flavors pop because I mean we all love the flavor of food. I was never one to add salt to my dishes but I did realize that many things contain
large amounts of sodium that are unhealthy for us and cause bloating! Bloating is never fun and it does not look or make us feel good. Salt free seasoning is the way to go along with fresh produce such as garlic, peppers, and onions always help kick the meal up several notches and its also kid approved by my little one.

Raised in a traditional Puerto Rican household we tend to eat lot's of yummy food that are not so healthy.Who said healthy can not be tasty. I have learned to create all of my favorite meals into healthier alternatives that are just as good without all the calories. Is it more work yes but taking out the time to meal prep is important because if we fail to plan we plan to fail. Buy your produce cut it up, use it and whatever you do not use Freeze it for another time. Eating healthy does not mean that you have to eat salads all day. Whatever I crave I eat because I know that I am able too. Do not restrict yourself from things because it will only cause you to binge/ feast later. 

20% of the work is done doing activities that help us get our heart rate up and our sweat flowing. Sweat is just your fat crying; so let it cry! I will not say you have to hit the gym every day. I have learned to make everything into a workout. I want to make sure that I am burning as many calories a day as I can and if that means dancing in my room for 15 minutes to my favorite tunes, or doing some yoga the fact of the matter was that I am doing things I was not doing prior. You have to find fitness related things that will fit into your schedule and that are easy to maintain.

I began doing things that I did not think made a big difference but totally did. I started off by parking my car further away from the store. If I was not shopping for many items I forced myself to carry the basket and get a arm workout in as I carried it around. Also it starts to get heavy so you avoid filling it with unneeded items. Take the stairs whenever you can and stretch those legs! Not only are the stairs great for increasing your hear rate but they tone your legs and helps the booty.

My excuse for a long time was that I did not have a workout buddy who was dedicated on working out. Soon I realized I only needed myself because I was dedicated to make the change that I wanted and needed badly. I later learned I did not actually like working out with others because it didn't get the job done as good as I did on my own. I did not want to chat it up at the gym. I was there to do work and I preferred to go whenever I got the urge even if that meant hitting the gym 2 times a day for hours at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment