Often times the question arises as to why I even do Yoga and what the benefits are.
I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be able to take on Yoga and enjoy it. Having severe back troubles I was determined to find a holistic approach to tackle the back pain. I do not like pharmaceutical's and I was determined to not put any of those man-made toxic chemicals into my body. Can I actually cure my horrid back pain naturally? Of course I can I mean what did people do centuries ago without pharmaceuticals?
I did some research and came across Yoga!
I was a little skeptical at first because my negative thinking told me, "Only small slender females are the only ones able to do this crap." However after some further research I learned its all about your mental strength and ability to tackle the unknown. I did not know what the heck Yoga entailed and I also did not know if I could or couldn't do it but I was already setting myself up for failure with my negative talk. I have seen people from all shapes and sizes engage in Yoga because if you want something nothing will stop you from attaining your wants and desires. Only we can hold ourselves back from things that we want with our negative thoughts and comfort zones.
In 2007 I made the worst choice of having an epidural during my childbirth. I could no longer sleep on my back and had to constantly turn throughout the night because of the discomfort. A few years later in 2012 a tractor trailer side swiped me on the highway causing my back further discomfort and tightness. I needed to somehow get my back to work with me and not against me.
I have heard about endorphin's but I did not really believe that when we naturally release endorphin's that allow our body to block out any pain signals that can be triggered from anxiety, stress, and depression. Our body releases endorphin's when we work out and our pain threshold also increases with physical activity. I was really curious to see if working out could help my back pain so I started off with cardio, moved on to weight lifting, and gradually into Yoga.
Yoga has allowed me to stretch my back and concentrate on core control. Yoga was not something that was super easy in the beginning but it has shown me self discipline. Each pose pushes your body to limits, you have to control your breathing, and your mind has to be on the task at hand. Yoga allows me to bend just as we have to in life and not break. I was a little hesitant on trying difficult poses because I didn't want to fall. However I learned that if I fall only means that I have to get back up and try again. Just as we do in life we can not stay down for long.
Yoga has pushed me to do things I thought I never could do but wanted too such as doing a simple handstand. I have learned to control by body with my breathing and I have learned to just let go. Yoga not only helped me sleep better, and push my limits but it also helps with digestion considering we are channeling our inner Zen which I avoided doing prior.
I have heard about endorphin's but I did not really believe that when we naturally release endorphin's that allow our body to block out any pain signals that can be triggered from anxiety, stress, and depression. Our body releases endorphin's when we work out and our pain threshold also increases with physical activity. I was really curious to see if working out could help my back pain so I started off with cardio, moved on to weight lifting, and gradually into Yoga.
Yoga has allowed me to stretch my back and concentrate on core control. Yoga was not something that was super easy in the beginning but it has shown me self discipline. Each pose pushes your body to limits, you have to control your breathing, and your mind has to be on the task at hand. Yoga allows me to bend just as we have to in life and not break. I was a little hesitant on trying difficult poses because I didn't want to fall. However I learned that if I fall only means that I have to get back up and try again. Just as we do in life we can not stay down for long.
Yoga has pushed me to do things I thought I never could do but wanted too such as doing a simple handstand. I have learned to control by body with my breathing and I have learned to just let go. Yoga not only helped me sleep better, and push my limits but it also helps with digestion considering we are channeling our inner Zen which I avoided doing prior.
So when I get asked why Yoga? What's the point? My response is why not?
Why not do things that you would never do. Why not try an All Natural holistic way to sooth your mind, body, and soul. Yoga allows me the opportunity to Stop, Drop and Yoga whenever I get the chance and I do not have to worry about getting to the gym. Why not Yoga when it helps me sleep better at night and I am not tossing and turning all night because my back locks up. Yoga has opened me up to focus on the moment, something I struggle to do often.
No comments:
Post a Comment