Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Lasagna Recipes.




One of our favorites around my home LASAGNA!

Yes you can make it in a variety of different healthy, calorie friendly ways. The best part is that you can also freeze the leftovers and have them for another time. Just microwave it up and bam dinner is ready!


Depending on your grocery store you can find different noodles that you can use.
Whole Wheat,  Gluten Free, or Veggie pasta are usually the ones I use depending on which ones I can find. Gluten Free & Veggie are 2 that I try to find first. Vegetable pasta is not what it sounds like; it's actually very flavorful and calorie friendly!!



If you want to use Meat in your lasagna choose Lean Meat; such as Lean Turkey and just season it up with Salt Less seasoning and crushed garlic if you want to take the turkey flavor out (for those who do not like the taste). I also like to add peppers, and onions into my meat mix.


If you want to make a Vegetable lasagna think about all of the vegetables you can add in and just chop them up into reasonable sizes, pan cook them for a few minutes then take them out and they will finish cooking in the oven once you layer them up just as you would in a regular lasagna.


Personally I like to use eggplant, zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, and broccoli. You can add different vegetables to each level or mix them all up and layer it that way. The choice is yours. I also like to add some crushed garlic on my veggies just for added flavor.



You can also use spinach with ricotta cheese as a layer with a meat lasagna or a veggie one.
When it comes to cheese I like to use a low or reduced in far, or that are part skim milk. So I choose Parmesan & grated Romano along with Part Skim Mozzarella cheese. You can use whatever cheese you want but we love cheese in my house so I use all 3.



I spend a lot of time in the sauce section comparing different sauces. All pasta sauce has different ingredients, some are high in sodium, while others are full of sugar. Just because the label says "Heart Smart, Low fat, Sodium free or Whole Grain" does not mean there's truth to it. You must read the label to ensure that its factual. Many times the labels are made to grab your attention with healthy friendly words and they hide the bad things on the back under ingredients. I usually grab the one that has the least sodium, sugar, and calories. I would name off brands but it actually all depends on the dish I am making and what kind of sauce is in the stores on that day. There's always a new brand of sauce out so you will usually find me in the supermarket holding several pasta sauces comparing everything before making my selection.



I did not add how much of anything I put in because it really all depends on how you like your lasagna. Basically this is what I look for and what I add to my different lasagna combinations. I just try to gear it to be healthy and calorie friendly.







No comments:

Post a Comment