Throughout my journey I never liked saying I was on a diet. At one point in time I was dieting. I was starving. I was restricting myself from things I wanted. I was suffering from binges. None of that helped. I did not want to diet. I wanted to make a lifestyle change that consisted of healthier eating patterns and a active lifestyle. I did not want to feel like I was forced or obligated to do this. I was doing this because I wanted to.
Zero time limits.
Leading by example
If I wanted my son to eat healthier I had to lead by example. He is also an athlete and benefits from having proper nutrition. I did my homework. I searched recipes. I read labels. I learned Macros. I learned safe carbs. I did not ask questions on Facebook to my general friends and fam. I did not rely on others to help and assist me. I did what I had to do for myself.
No excuses = Results.
Eating healthy does not mean eating bland, tasteless things. You can find the balance that fits your individual needs without having to consume 2,000 calories in one sitting. I had to hold myself accountable for my food choices. I was no longer eating for comfort. I was finding other alternatives to do to fight those binges. Each time I stepped further and further out of comfort zone.
Enjoy the process
Cooking healthy meals that my son enjoys is the highlight of my day. Asking him to taste my veggie lasagna or to add some salad to his plate fills my heart with joy. Catching him reading labels and pointing out how high the sugar content is in something also ensures me that I am now doing something correctly. No longer does he scream "Can we have Mc Donalds?" He now says, "Mom can you make some of that yummy chicken you make when we get home?"
Lifestyle Choices
Lifestyle Choices not only for myself but for my son. I want to teach him to make healthy choices without having to second guess it. I do not want him to fall in love with food to the point that he hates the person he has become. I do not want him to feel obligated to eat fruits and vegetables. I want this to be something that he does because he knows that chips and cookies is not going to give us the fuel we need to keep our "factory" going.
Moderation
Yes we have brownies, cakes, and at times cookies in our pantry. We also have a abundant amount of fruit, veggies, nuts, & jerky that he will choose first. Having baked snacks as opposed to potato chips is also a healthier alternative. Small changes lead to big results.
No comments:
Post a Comment